Thursday, December 3, 2015

Critical Reflection - My thoughts on the Effective Communication module - Edited

The module "Effective Communication" has moulded me into a more knowledgeable person. However, I was skeptical about another language module as I had a few similar modules during my study in Temasek Polytechnic. I vividly recall the first lesson where I did not understand the meaning of paraphrase. I knew then, that I needed to broaden my command of English speaking and writing. My motivation was my goal to score an ‘A’ grade for all my modules. I was taught by my parents that my attitude would determine my altitude, thus I developed a passion for learning. Furthermore, my passion of learning was enhanced through my experience in the "Effective Communication" module.

In the module, I went through a transition of being passive to being spontaneous. The lessons the lessons conducted were very engaging. Brad was constantly urging us to share our knowledge and experience with the class. With that said, we were required to create a blog where our assignments and reflections would be posted at. Brad had created an open channel for all of his students to share information. Through the blog post, I had the opportunity to provide constructive feedback to my peers. In addition, this provides another perspective towards one’s work.

I was comfortable providing and receiving feedback to my peers, and I would not have taken the initiative to provide feedback if not for the blog. I feel that blogging is a great way to learn English, and I had the opportunity to practice my analytical skills in providing constructive feedback. As a result, I feel compelled to mention that this method definitely aided me in improving my analytical skills. I applied what I have learnt to help my peers by providing constructive feedback. In addition to providing feedback, this has urged me to understand the different writing styles which helped me to broaden my knowledge.

However, at times, it worried me that I provided poor feedback to my peers as my command in English is not good.


As a student who is currently aiming to become a professional engineer, I would be able to use my analytical skills in determining the best course of action for my team. Furthermore, effective communication is essential in providing clear and concise information. I have to hand it to Brad for providing me and my project team extremely helpful feedback. I love this course but unfortunately, there isn’t an “Effective Communication 2” module. Therefore, as English is widely used in the marketplace, I believe that having more classes would be better for students.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nate.

    I love how your parents taught you; "My attitude determines my altitude." It had been my favourite quote since secondary school. But sadly, it had not been my motivation to perform better. Anyway, I agree with you that the course had moulded us to be more spontaneous.

    Goodluck for your exams!
    Nurul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nat,

    I feel the same way as you,it is sad to know that there isn't any Effective Communication 2 module. It is a pity. Nonetheless, I am glad that you learn a lot through this module. I am constantly worrying about my grammar and vocabulary while posting or commenting, even though i will double check my sentences. But i think you do not have to worry about this problem, your standard of English is excellent! :) It is really heartwarming to know that everyone has learn so much through this course. I believe Brad will be very happy to read all of our posts! Great post, Nat!

    Cheers,
    Serene :)

    ReplyDelete