Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Critical Reflection - My thoughts on the Effective Communication module

The module "Effective Communication" has molded me into a more knowledgeable person. However, I was skeptical about another language module as I had a few similar modules during my study in Temasek Polytechnic (TP). I vividly recall the first lesson where I did not understand the meaning of paraphrase. I knew then, that I needed to broaden my command of English speaking and writing. My motivation was my goal to score an ‘A’ grade for all my modules. I was taught by my parents that my attitude would determine my altitude, thus I developed a passion for learning. Furthermore, my passion of learning was enhanced through my experience in the "Effective Communication" module. Overall, there are three reasons as to why my learning experience from the "Effective Communication" module has prompted me to write this review.

Firstly, I feel that students providing feedback to their peers’ assignments are a great way to learn English. By doing so, the students would be able to practice their analytical skills in providing constructive feedback, and provide another person’s perspective towards one’s work. With that said, I feel compelled to mention that this method definitely aided me in improving my analytical skills. I applied what I have learnt to help my peers by providing constructive feedback. In addition to providing feedback, this has urged me in understanding the different styles of writing which helped me to broaden my knowledge.

Secondly, the lessons conducted were very engaging. Brad was constantly urging us to share our knowledge and experience with the class. In a way, this trained my cognitive process and boosted my confidence when speaking to the class.

Lastly, all the students were required to create a blog where assignments and reflections would be posted at. Brad had created an open channel for all of his students to share information. In addition, this provided me the opportunity to provide feedback for my classmates.

To wrap it up, the "Effective Communication" is an extremely helpful module and I would like to thank the faculty for bringing this module forward to Year 1 Semester 1. I strongly encourage all students to participate in this module as it is able to guide oneself to broaden one’s knowledge of word use, boost confidence, etc. (The list goes on and on…). I have to hand it to Brad for providing me and my project team extremely helpful feedback. He guided us throughout the weeks and we have definitely constructed a much better report after we sought for his advice. I love this course but unfortunately, there isn’t an “Effective Communication 2” module. Therefore, as English is widely used in the marketplace, I believe that having more classes would be better for students.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Nat, for this detailed post. There are many things to like about it. I like the fact that you feel so strongly about the value of the eff comm module. That is very heartening since I want students to enjoy this learning journey. Your statement about how your parents taught you that "attitude would determine my altitude" is also especially apt. I've never heard "will power" phrased like that before.

    And of course I appreciate the accolades. Everyone likes to have their ego stroked.

    My only worry in this post is that you don't, technically speaking, follow the prescribed structure for a critical reflection (as we had discussed it). Remember the diagram that starts with "What happened" proceeds to "How do you feel about it" then moves to "What did you learn about yourself and others" and lands on "How will you use it to inform your future?"

    In short, your post is very comprehensive, but there seems to be an excess of accolades and a shortage of the "critical" part. How did the feedback make you feel, when you were giving and receiving? Was there any problem with such feedback? Is it awkward to critique the work of classmates? Would you ever do that beyond eff comm class?

    These issues truly interest me.

    In any case, I really appreciate all your effort this term. Your hard work and inspired classroom attitude has helped make T5 a great group!

    ReplyDelete